As of March 13, 2020
On March 13, 2020, the California Department of Public Health distributed a press release with updated information on COVID-19. Please click the following link to read the release: State Health & Emergency Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts
Additionally, the City of Santa Clarita is working closely with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (DPH) to monitor the novel coronavirus. Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is a viral disease that produces symptoms similar to the flu or pneumonia.
On March 4, Los Angeles County declared a local emergency to ensure that it will have the authority to take measures necessary to protect and preserve public health and safety, including seeking aid from state and federal authorities as necessary.
Key preventative steps:
- Stay at home when sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Limit close contact, like kissing and sharing cups or utensils, with people who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If you do not have a tissue, use your sleeve (not your hands).
- Facemasks are most effective when used appropriately by health care workers and people who are sick.
- Get a flu shot to prevent influenza if you have not done so this season.
For more information, please visit: